Dah Duit (Hi) and welcome

Brighidin Ban Mo Store


Brighidin Ban Mo Store
by Edward Walsh, teacher and poetborn in Londenderry, 1805, and died in Cork, 1850


Brighidin ban mo stor is in English 'fair young bride', or 'Bridget my treasure'. The proper sound of this phrase is not easily found in English-speaking Irish. It is as if written, "Bree-dheen-bawn-mu-sthore". The proper name Brighit, or Bride, signifies a 'fiery dart', and was the name of the goddess of poetry in the Pagan days of Ireland



.



I am a wand'ring minstrel man,



And Love my only theme,



I've stray'd beside the pleasant Bann



, And eke the Shannon's stream;



I've piped and play'd to wife and maid



By Barrow, Suir, and Nore,



But never met a maiden yet



Like Brighidin Ban Mo Store.



My girl hath ringlets rich and rare,



By Nature's fingers wove -



Loch-Carra's swan is not so fair



As is her breast of Love;



And when she moves, in Sunday sheen,



Beyond our cottage door,



I'd scorn the high-born Saxon queen



For Brighidin Ban Mo Store.



It is not that thy smile is sweet,



And soft thy voice of song -



It is not that thou fleest to meet



My comings lone and long;



But that doth rest beneath thy breast



A heart of purest core,



Whose pulse is known to me alone,



My Brighidin Ban Mo Store.